Sunday 13 April 2014

Kandula's Ceylon Earl Grey: I Just Couldn't Resist


Another Earl Grey review? I can hear you asking! I know, I know, variety is the spice of life, but I just couldn't resist brewing this little pyramid. To me, it's almost criminal to know there is Earl Grey sitting around not being drunk!

This morning I have picked Ceylon Earl Grey Tea from Kandula. (Still love those little elephants!). I was interested to see how this tea would be different considering the tea is from Ceylon as opposed to the usual Indian tea that is quite often used in Earl Grey.

Undoing the plastic packaging that the pyramid came in was delightful. The smell of lemon and bergamont is very strong, fragrant and interesting. I was pleased to experience this, as this is how Earl Grey should be. There are some other blends out there who prefer to keep the lemon slightly muted. That's fine but then, quite often, Earl Grey tend to veer more towards a herbal taste rather then Earl Grey.

I brewed Ceylon Earl Grey for five minutes to make it nice and strong. It brews to a wonderful coppery colour!


As this was brewing, I knew this was going to be a Earl Grey that I was going to enjoy. Of course, you can't actually decide whether it's good until you actually drink it, but, aroma's can go a long way in deciding how you feel about a tea.

When I tasted this brew I found it to be an entirely satisfying Earl Grey. As readers may know, I love Orange Pekoe, and buy it in bulk  when I go to Twinings on the Strand. This tea uses Orange Pekoe leaves, and my goodness, it makes for a truly wonderful blend. The base tea is so round and full of flavour it swishes around your mouth, making your tongue dance for joy! To get a really good quality tea is a real treat, and then use that good quality tea to make a superb Earl Grey is utterly wonderful.

The lemon and bergamont is strong,  but that is what makes a good Earl Grey. Weak Earl Grey is awful, you may as well just brew a simple black tea. The two flavours blended together work really well. It's very robust and for me it's just perfect. 

Kandula tea is very high quality. And that is very obvious when you drink it. I feel Earl Grey is a relatively easy blend to produce, so you can often judge a company by the Earl Grey they produce.  I once tasted (by a company who I wont name here, it's not totally fair to do so) a foul Earl Grey. Undrinkable. And, when I went on to try their other teas they were equally awful! 

This was utterly delightful. And incredibly  moreish. It's just a shame I only had one pyramid. I could easily brew a second cup right away! 

I can safely say that Kandula's Ceylon Earl Grey easily join's the very exclusive 'Laura's Best Earl Grey Club'. The admittance criteria is exceptionally high and it's not easy to gain entrance! But those who do make it are very, very special. 

If you would like more information on Kandula's Ceylon Earl Grey then please visit their website. And can I just persuade you to give it a go? You wont regret it!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment