Wednesday 9 April 2014

Strawberry And Vanilla Fool: A Tea That Has Potential But Just Falls A Little Short


Along with Tropical Infusion, I recently have tried The London Fruit And Herb Company's Strawberry and Vanilla Fool.

When I saw the bright, red packaging I was instantly tempted to try it. I love strawberry flavoured foods. From yoghurts, to milk shakes. From jam's to puddings. (Not that I can eat them on Weight Watchers, but I have fond memories of doing so in the past!). So, strawberry and vanilla fool seemed like it would be right up my street.

I have been really impressed with the company's tropical infusion, orange green tea and lemon and lime zest. I eagerly tried this one.

As you can see, each tea comes in it's own envelope. Not a paper one like the others but a foil once which was sturdy, but a little tricky to open!


When I started to brew the tea, the aroma's were delightful. The strawberry was very strong, and there was a sweet smell of vanilla. This was going to be good, I thought. I followed the instructions and brewed for around five minutes.

The scent of the tea was, quite frankly inviting, so I couldn't wait to sit down and take a sip.

I was immediately underwhelmed. The luscious vanilla flavour, although there, was much more subtle then the smell suggested.

But the biggest let down, if I can call it that, was the strawberry. It was very weak and although the more prominent flavour of the two, was watered down. The flavour simply did not match up to the aroma which was strong and creamy.

This is the sort of tea where you need two bags to make a decent brew. And, considering there is only twenty in a box, would mean that you would go through boxes fairly quickly.

There was also a strange, odd texture about this tea, too. It's a texture that put me off fruit tea's many years ago, and it only was Twinings that made fruit tea pleasurable.

I really do not like writing negative blogs. I feel uncomfortable with it. But, I promised myself that when I established this I would write the truth, otherwise there is no point writing it at all.

This tea is not unpleasant. It doesn't make me gag like the much hated (by me) Lapsang Souchong.
It is simply too weak to be enjoyable. If you have read my blog about The London Tea Company's Raspberry and Chilli Inferno then you'll know how well a fruit tea can be made and how strong the flavours can be.

But I fully understand, what I may not like, others will do.

I have sent some envelopes of the tea to another tea blogger, Rebecca. I have a few left. If any readers would like to try it for themselves I'd be happy to send you a sample. Just leave your name and address in the comments section (don't worry I have to moderate comments before they are published so no personal information will appear publicly) below.

I really wanted to like this tea, but I just felt it was weak and flavourless. Maybe you will think the opposite and enjoy it!


No comments:

Post a Comment