Tuesday 18 February 2014

Cranberry And Blood Orange: A Sharp Delight

First of all, I have to start this blog by stating that Cranberry and Blood Orange (was known as cranberry and sanguinello previously) is my all time favourite fruit tea. I absolutely love it, and can, when I'm in the mood, get through a box a week.

I find the contrast in blood oranges fantastic. I love the orange peel and the blood red flesh of the fruit. The difference in colours is amazing and it makes for a particularly attractive fruit.

Here is a the box of tea. I really love the revamped boxes for the fruit teas. The designs are modern, colourful and appealing.


Just like it's name, the tea brews to a blood red colour!


Now, I must state that if you have a sweet tooth and like your fruit teas sweet, like mango and strawberry, for instance, then perhaps this isn't the blend for you. Both cranberries and blood oranges are at the sharper end of the scale when it comes to fruits, so the combination of the two together make for a rather potent blend. That said, it's not uncomfortably sharp, but it does have a kick to it, that makes your tongue tingle.

It's a refreshing blend, and it's very different. It's quite a daring combination to put the two together, but it really works.

The bolder of the two tastes in this tea is the blood orange. I do get a lovely scent of orange as the tea is brewing, and could still smell it when I went back into the kitchen a couple of hours later. The cranberry adds another level to the tea. In fact, it's quite interesting to note that out of all the fruit tea's, cranberry is perhaps one of the most used ingredients and it's mixed with other flavours. I like the tartness of the cranberry, but oddly, I struggle to drink cranberry juice. I think it really works when mixed with other fruit like it is in this tea.

And underneath the two marvelous flavours of blood orange and cranberry, I also detect the ever so subtle presence of liquorice root which always makes it's presence known by giving you a slight kick once you've taken the sip of tea.

I think what makes the tea so great for me is that it's strong. This isn't one of those wishy washy fruit teas where you have to really guess what your drinking and can barely pick out the flavours. This is proud, and it says 'I'm here ... you can't miss me'. It's refreshing, and it's different.

Selecting blood orange as opposed to any other orange is a stroke of genius. The aroma of it fills up the kitchen with it's sweet and fresh scent.

I've liked this tea since I brought my first box and it remains my favourite. There is something really interesting and bold about it.

So, now, I'm off to brew another cup. And enjoy it all over again!

Summary Of Cranberry And Blood Orange

- Brew for as long as you wish.
- No milk or sugar needed.
- Available from Twinings online and in most supermarkets, priced £1.49 for 20 teabags.

Special Deals

This tea is currently on deal at branches of Tesco's. Two boxes for £2.60.







3 comments:

  1. I just bought this for my Mom and when I was going through my big box from Twinings I could smell this one through the box and it smells SO GOOD! I may have to sneak a few bags for myself ;) ~Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deanna, you will LOVE this tea. It's so different it's just fabulous. It seems that you have had a massive order from Twinings! I hope you enjoy it. As I said it's a personal favourite of mine and I'm sure you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the tea was bought for my family back in Canada. My Mom is coming to visit in April but I had a coupon for the online store so she wanted me to "stock up" :) I only bought a box of 50 in Ceylon and Darjeeling for myself. My new favourites at the moment. But the Cranberry/Blood Orange just smells so darn good :D ~Deanna

      Delete