Thursday 13 February 2014

The Exotic Raspberry And Dragon Fruit ... An Interesting Tea

One of the reason's I like Twinings, as I have said before, is that seem to be utterly fearless in combining different flavours when it comes to their fruit teas.

Pretty much every brand, and every supermarket can produce lemon and ginger or summer berries. That isn't a criticism of course, but, they can be a bit ... well ... sometimes you can fancy something different.

And through their Sensations range, Twinings have been even more inventive in the blends they have produced.

Tonight, I'm reviewing their Raspberry and Dragon Fruit Sensation.


As I said previously, last year, I was fortunate enough to win the complete set of Sensations tea. And, every flavour was a pleasure to try. But I was surprised as I have to admit, I've never experienced a dragon fruit before. If your like me and not seen one, here is a photograph.


Upon doing some research, I discovered that dragon fruit has a mild flavour, rather like what you'd expect from a water melon, but it's incredibly sweet.

As with the other family members, this blend comes in it's own envelope.


What I really like about this tea is when it brews the aroma of raspberry is really strong, and it reminds me of when you make up a jelly. It's fruity and sweet and lovely.

It brews to a deep red colour, and as you can see, I leave the bag in so that the flavour is really strong. If you dip this bag in the water and take it out again, you won't get a strong brew from it.


Like other fruit teas that has raspberry as it's leading ingredient, you get a full flavour, and there is really no doubt that it's raspberry your drinking. It has that sharpness you get with raspberries. I think though, that raspberry tea on it's own may be a little too tart, and it does need another ingredient, such as strawberries or, in this case, dragon fruit, to even out the balance somewhat.

The dragon fruit adds it's sweetness. But can I describe the flavour of the fruit? Not sure if I can. I noticed on the packaging that it also has lycee added to this blend, which is the taste that came through to me after the fullness of the raspberry flavour had passed. I feel maybe that dragon fruit, being such a delicate flavour, is somewhat lost. The raspberry is strong, and the lychee, although not strong, is a prominent flavour.

This is a really exotic blend, that is quite different. I enjoy it, as, like with other fruit teas, I love the mixture of sweet and sour. I think I would of preferred the chance to taste the dragon fruit more, but in all fairness to Twinings, if the fruit has a delicate flavour then there isn't much they can do with that. But perhaps pairing it up with the strong flavour of raspberry isn't the best way to bring the flavour out. Perhaps a dragon fruit and grape tea would be a little better. Two delicate flavours, complimenting each other, rather the one trying, and failing to pop it's head through.

Still, I do enjoy this tea simply because it's different and interesting and refreshing. I like it.

I'd highly recommend giving it a try. It's a perfect, summery blend. Very nice indeed.

Summary Of Raspberry And Dragon Fruit Sensation

- Brew for as long as you wish - but I think the longer the better!
- No milk or sweetener needed.
- Perfect blend to use for a fruit punch.
- The tea is available in selected supermarkets and from Twinings Online. A box of twenty costs £2.49.

No comments:

Post a Comment