Tuesday 4 February 2014

Twinings Prince of Wales Black Tea. A Hard To Find Must Have

First of all I want to say that Prince of Wales is a blend of black tea that is very hard to source in the UK. It's not available from Twinings shop, and you certainly wont find it in any supermarkets nor in the Strand. I have only ever purchased two boxes. One from Amazon's online tea store and the other box in a whole foods shop where I stumbled on the blend almost by accident. Prince of Wales, from what I can gather, is part of the international range known as Classics, and is sold abroad.

I'm not quite sure why this blend isn't available in the UK. But it certainly should be.


I have to admit, I was quite unfair about Prince of Wales tea. Trevor, who I chat to via the Twinings Facebook raved about the tea, and I searched high and low for it, and when I found it expected something different, and initially, I didn't find it. It's just a black tea, that's all.

So, today, fancying something different, I decided to make another cup and see how I feel about it now. As you can see, each teabag comes in it's own envelope.


I brewed the tea for three minutes and it made for a lovely, dark, mahogany colour.


When I first tasted the tea last year, I dismissed it it as just like Assam or English Breakfast. But, actually, it's not. It's far lighter in taste, and far less malty then English Breakfast (the maltiness in English Breakfast puts me off it sometimes). It is a strong tea, but it lacks the bitterness that Assam can have, particularly if you over brew it and don't take milk in your tea. The taste has a sweet, delicate taste to it. I would recommend this blend if your thinking of cutting milk out of your tea, as it's gentle enough to get you started on drinking black tea.

It's a really lovely blend, quite refreshing and tasty, and this is one tea that I put lemon in to make it tasty and a little zingy.

Prince of Wales, though on the surface is just a plain black tea, nothing fancy, is really rather special. It's very versatile, and can be taken with or without milk, with or without sweetener or even with lemon or lime added. On the packet, because this blend is marketed for the American market, you even get instructions on how to make a iced tea!

When you buy a blend of tea which is intended for overseas market, you get a taste of the difference in marketing. In this picture you can see the slogan that is used for the American market! I think it's cute.


This tea isn't easy to find, but if you do come across a box, I'd recommend you give it a try. It's well worth it!

Summary Of Prince Of Wales Blend

- Brew this blend for 3-5 minutes.
- Can be taken white or black, with or without sweeteners. I would recommend adding lemon or even lime to give it a kick!
- POW Tea is available from Amazon UK costing £3.58 for 20 teabags or £6.99 for a caddy with 100g of tea.
- Can also be brought from Twinings USA shop.

5 comments:

  1. Am in the US and am just reading this a couple of years after it was posted. I love Prince of Wales tea and used to buy it routinely in the local grocery. Have not been able to find it for a couple of years except online. What a tragedy! It is a lovely, refreshing tea, very smooth, never bitter and altogether delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. I love Prince of Wales tea but it's virtually available now in the UK. It's so smooth, as you say, and not a jot of bitterness about it. I have a small amount left but am afraid my days of drinking it are over! It's such a shame we cannot enjoy it anymore :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I might be wrong but seem to remember someone at Twinnings, London, telling me that it is not available in the UK due to Prince Charles and the title of "Prince of Wales"
    Shame as it is a really great black tea

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have absolutely no idea at all why Prince of Wales tea is not available in the UK! I do, however, feel it's a huge shame. I did manage to track a box down on Amazon several years ago, and paid an extortionate amount of money for it. And I totally agree, it's a gorgeous blend. Around the time I brought it, I had stopped taking milk and sweetener in my tea and it was a great cross over blend that allowed me to make the leap from milky, sweet to pure black tea, as it is very delicate and light. I have missed it very much and do wish it were more readily available over here. I hope, if you're not in the UK, that you have access to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. our family loves this blend, and we have been able to grab a few packets in Rome and also in Barcelona. when in BCN, visit the supermarket in the basement of El Corte Inglese on Las Ramblas street where it's easily available.

    ReplyDelete