Tuesday 11 February 2014

Twinings Blackcurrant and Rhubarb .... It's a bit lovely!

Imagine it's a lovely Sunday afternoon and you've just eaten the most delicious Sunday roast. Then, for afters, your served a gorgeous crumble, that is filled with juicy blackcurrants and plump pieces of rhubarb, topped off with buttery crumbs. All served with lashings of warm (but not too hot!) creamy Devon custard.

Well, with Twinings Blackcurrant and Rhubarb Sensation tea, that is effectively what your getting. It's like a dessert in a cup!

Last year Twinings released their new Sensations range. I've already reviewed one tea, the Lime and Ginger which is lovely. From the emails that I've received through writing this blog, as well as the comments on Twinings Facebook page, the Sensations range is already establishing itself as a favourite in the tea world, with blackcurrant and rhubarb frequently named as the top flavour.


This blend comes in boxes of twenty teabags and is wrapped in it's own envelopes. I love the packaging of the range, it's so pretty and colourful.


When opening the box you can straight away smell the lovely fruit flavours. It's gorgeous!

As with most fruit tea's I tend to leave the teabag in whilst drinking as it makes for a stronger brew. Normally, I even use two teabags when making this tea to make a extra strong brew, however, I'm low on stock and am trying to limit myself! As you can see, the tea brews to a lush red colour!


When you take your first sip of this tea it's an experience you wont forget in a while. Both rhubarb and blackcurrants can be quite sharp in taste, but the extra ingredient of liquorice root, which has a sweet kick to it means that the sharpness is balanced out by the sweetness. Also, the tea contains vanilla, which makes the blend creamy and ever so inviting.

With some fruit teas you can have one flavour outweigh the other. But this is such a evenly balanced tea that no one flavour dominates. It's a perfect match of ingredients that come together and make a perfect fruit tea.

As someone who is weight watching, creamy desserts are out of the question, so I can honestly say that this blend really is a good substitute. In fact, I've recommended this tea to some members of my weight watchers class, and they have all come back with positive reviews of the tea. But, even if you don't have to watch your waistline, you'll enjoy this tea. It is sweet enough to please those with a sweet tooth, but the tartness of the rhubarb and blackcurrants keeps it evenly balanced for those who don't!

I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed with this brew. It really is special!

Summary of Blackcurrent And Rhubarb Sensation

- Can be brewed as long as you wish.
- No milk or sugar needed.
- Available in supermarkets and Twinings online. For a box of 20 it costs £2.49







4 comments:

  1. Can I purchase this in the US at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment.

      First of all, I know that Twinings Online do ship internationally, so that would be the first stop.

      However, I do have friends who live in the States who visit those sorts of shops that sell British goods to ex-pats. (In return we are seeing a lot of American shops pop up in this country!). Maybe you could source one of them and see if they could order it for you. My friends tend to order their favourite blends online, and for emergency purchases of Earl Grey use their local store.

      Delete
  2. Twinings have discontinued the Blackcurrant and Rhubarb tea, it was my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that, Elizabeth. That has flabbergarsted me as I know it was hugely popular. But, when they relaunched the Intensely range I noticed it wasn't included in the photo and commented on it then. Wow!

      Thanks for letting me know, Elizabeth!

      Delete