Thursday 6 February 2014

The Embarassing Case Of Orange Pekoe.. The Lovely Alex From Twinings .. And Laura's Faux Pas!

I still cringe with embarrassment whenever I remember the fist time I had discussed Orange Pekoe. A member of the Twinings Facebook group had told how she had brought a large amount of the blend as it was on sale. "Is it really orangey, like Lady Grey?" I asked, wide eyed and innocent.

I remember that the always lovely Alex, who handles Twinings Facebook page responded with "well, Laura, it's not actually orange flavoured, that's just the name", very nicely explaining about this exotic blend of tea, whilst at the same time probably thinking how daft I was! I really did feel like the school dunce!

But, the incident, which I was hugely mortified by, did create my interest in the tea, so I brought a box


Orange Pekoe is a black tea, and it's rated as a medium strength.

I like Orange Pekoe because it's light and refreshing, and it's a black tea that is light enough to be taken without milk or sweetener.

I brew the tea for around 3 to four minutes. It brews to a lovely copper colour (I did take photographs, but my phone has just died and I can't upload them!) and has a pleasant aroma. The smell is very slightly herbal.

On drinking this blend, I noticed a very, very light citrus taste to the brew, and it's light and refreshing. In fact, I can quite often make a second cup almost as soon as I have finished the first, as it is really rather moreish. This tea would be perfect to serve at an afternoon tea party, particularly if you have guests that are not too keen on flavoured teas. It's also good when you don't fancy a stronger black tea, such as Assam or English Breakfast.

I find it a real pity that Orange Pekoe isn't more widely available in the UK. You can purchase it online at Twinings shop, under the International Range, but it would be a real treat to be able to go and buy a box as soon as you've run out!

It's really lovely to try new teas, especially those blends that are normally only available abroad.

Orange Pekoe is a really pleasant tea. It's tasty, but at the same time gentle. It's a satisfying brew that is incredibly moreish, and I'm sure you'll find yourself drinking cup after cup once you've tried it. It's one of those teas that leaves an impression, you'll never forget it once you've tasted it.

It's a pleasure to drink, and one you'll be proud to serve friends and family. But then again, you may just want to keep it for yourself ....!!!!

Summary Of Orange Pekoe

- Brew the tea for 3 to 5 minutes, though I think four is the maximum you need to brew it for.
- You can drink it black or with milk, sweetened or unsweetened.
- Available from Twinings Online, under their International range. A box of 25 teabags costs £3.00.



4 comments:

  1. I'm a Canadian currently living in England. Orange Pekoe is one of the most popular teas in Canada and you can get it just about everywhere. If you go to a restaurant and order tea, it will most likely be Orange Pekoe :) Love the blog! ~Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Deanna - Thanks for commenting. It's always lovely to hear what readers think!

    I'm amazed that Orange Pekoe is not widely available here in the UK. It's a fantastic blend, and really tasty. I'm just glad I can get it via Twinings International section on their online shop. I've become quite addicted to it! I have a friend in Canada who told me it's very popular over there. What other sorts of blends do Canadians favour in their tea drinking?

    Tonight I'm writing about Ceylon and Cranberry and Blood Orange! Feel free to comment on any of the posts, Deanna. It's always welcomed and appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura :) English Breakfast is also very popular in Canada as well as Red Rose Canadian Breakfast which I love :) ~Deanna

      Delete
    2. Red Rose Canadian sounds interesting. I'd love to try that!

      Delete